Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Medical Update

I thought I would give a quick medical update on Cody and Jade. Jade first because honestly she is just cruising along. She now weighs 17 lbs. 4 oz. at 7 1/2 months old. Not bad considering her brother was 17 lbs. even when he was 1 year old. The good news about her weight is that they let me slightly decrease her milk intake and increase her baby food. Hopefully that is a good step in the direction of having her feeding tube out. By the end of the month she will start having physical therapy once a week. With this increase hopefully her motor skills will start to show even more improvement. But overall, she is doing wonderfully. It is fun to see her start to come into her own personality and really just be a happy baby.
Cody also had some medical stuff this month. He had some blood work done that showed he was insufficiantly producing his growth hormone, hence his short stature. Anyway, before he can be treated they had to give him a MRI to rule out a brain tumor. So yesturday we headed to The Children's Specialty Hospital in New Brunswick for the MRI. I think the staff thought we were weird for taking pictures, but I did it anyway.

Here is Cody waiting to be taken in.


To administer the anesthesia they were going to use this mask, so they let Cody play with it for a minute so he wouldn't be scared of it. Cody loved it because it smelt like bubble gum.

I held him while he "fell asleep". He was such a good kid. All the technicians kept telling me he was their best patient of the day.

Into the big machine.

This is what he looked like when we got him back.

Overall, he did really well. When he first came out of the anesthesia he was very out of it. He was thrashing and kicking all over and screaming and crying. He almost fell of the bed a few times too. But he was not really awake and quickly fell back asleep again. Then when he woke up the second time he was more like my sweet little guy and didn't remember anything that happened. Hopefully this is our last experience with anesthesia

10 comments:

pat said...

Becca and Scott, you guys are sure having a rough time but you sound so good on your blog. I keep your family in my prayers and hope that this next year is easier for you and the kids!

pat said...

PS I hope you know who left that last message. It's me, Pat Bahr. I finally figured out how to leave messages!

ME said...

When I saw Jade on Sunday, she looked very strong and was trying to hold her head up all by herself! Great milestones! Hang in there, you'll be in our prayers.

Scott and Stacia said...

thanks for the update! You guys are always in our thoughts and prayers! Hang in there! We are looking forward to seeing you guys next time we are up (probably Christmas--will you be around??).

mrp670 said...

Those are some fun pictures of Cody. He really is such a happy little guy. We hope to be able to see you soon.

The Hoyt Family said...

Oh keep us informed on how he does and what they find.. You honestly have the cutest kids ever.. As far as the movie theater i think its called cinemas at town center but i'm not sure it the one out next to shoprite by the americana diner.. I think its route 571??? I'm still bad with street names.. Hope that helps...
Take care.

Sherwoods said...

Wow, is sounds like adventures at your house! Cody looks so little on that big white stretcher! Hopefully all goes well. Good luck with the hormone as well as with Jade's food!

CYD said...

I guess you can't say your life isn't full of surprises! Cody looks like he was such a trooper. We'll be thinking of you guys!
Cyd

LizzyP said...

I bet that's so disorienting for a kid his age. I guess there's no other way but to put him under. You are seriously amazing for doing all that you do for them. I can't believe I feel sad about holding my kids for their immunizations.

Aunt Carol said...

Oh, how sad - poor little guy!