Monday, October 6, 2008

Fun and not so fun

So this is Scott writing. I just thought I'd start out with that because I actually haven't posted in months. I got bored of the whole blogging thing. So Becca has been posting all Summer. But I decided to add in my two cents to what's been going on in our lives. Let's see, where to start, where to start? We'll start off with the best part of the summer: Vacation of course.

So we went down to the Outer Banks in N.C. For all of you who don't know that is where Kittyhawk is. (Where the Wright Brothers flew the first airplane.) We were just a few minutes away from there. As you probably saw from the pictures Becca posted we spent most of our time at the beach. The place we rented was right on the beach. Literally!! It was pretty awesome. Take a look at a picture I took from the balcony:
Jade and Becs mostly just chilled on the beach. Cody and I enjoy a little more active pursuits. The waves were really big some of the days we were there because of the storms to the south of us. This made it perfect for surfing on the waves in the kayak and doing some boogie boarding. Even Cody took his turn.


Surfing the waves in a kayak is tons of fun. It's really easy to catch the wave because the kayak is so bouyant, the trick is not flipping over. I only flipped the first time. After that, I kind of got the hang of it. Luckily Becs didn't get a picture of me flipping though. We also got to chase crabs around the beach and go to the Aquarium.

We've also done a lot of other fun things this summer. We have a season pass to the zoo, so we've gone there several times. Cody loves animals. They have a trick-or-treat thing at the zoo in a few weekends, and we're thinking of going. Of course, we've also been camping quite a few times. We've tried out a couple of new places this summer. It's always nice to get a way for a few days. We even went to the Deleware Water Gap with the Barlows. Luckily they brought a camera so we could get a few pictures. Here we are at Dingman's Falls. There are alot of waterfalls around there that we went hiking to.


Cody giving a nice pose. He's going to be model when he grows up.
Jade looking cute!
A couple of bears hiding in a cave we found while hiking.

I also got to go river rafting down the Lehigh river a few weekends ago with some family. It was a lot of fun. I was elected to be the captain and steer the boat. I turn into a little bit of a different person when I'm on the river. I was really bossy. That's a warning for anyone who goes on the river with me in the future. Be prepared to sit down, shut up, and paddle hard. J/K. Here's a picture of us when we got done. See, everyone looks happy.

The rest of our time this summer was spent at the hospital or doctor's appointments. Seriously. I'm not even kidding. I created this spreadsheet to keep track of our doctors and medical expenses because it is too hard to remember them all. We see doctors or go to the hospital probably 2-3 times per week. And let's not get started on the medications my family is taking. Crazy. Of course, I can't take credit for it. Becca is the one who does it all. I just go to work every day. But seriously, I'm the only healthy one in the family. Becca is going to a doctor to figure out her high blood pressure problem, and has to take daily pills. Cody sees the doctor about his low growth hormone levels, and we have to give him shots nightly. Because of Jade's Prader Willi Syndrome, she sees the most doctor's. She sees a physical therapist weekly, pediatrician every three weeks, her feeding therapist monthly, a physiatrist every three to four months, endocrinoligist every six months, neonatoligist and geneticist and neurologist yearly. Plus anything else that comes up along the way, such as when Becca and Cody and Jade all got Hand, Mouth, Foot disease.

Wow that sounded depressing. If you want you can go back and read the above paragraph using Eeyore's voice.




We've actually been very blessed though. We've been able to live by family and we live in a really great ward so we always have had a babysitter when we need one. Plus we have been able to do a lot of fun things as a family.

Well, I've got to do a parting shot. Let's see. How about this one:

6 comments:

Summer said...

Man I sure wish I was on vacation with you it sounds like tons of fun. It was way to hot to go camping but me and Tyler and going to start going now.

Davis and Carter's Mommy said...

You guys are so adventurous, you rock! I love the waterfall pic. I can't imagine you being bossy though.

mrp670 said...

Sounds like you had a very busy summer. We are more with Summer now, our camping seasoning is starting. Mark wants you to come down sometime and kayak down the coast with him.

LizzyP said...

I love that you have Mana on your playlist! I love Mana. I seriously think Becca has the life of Job--good thing she has the patience of Job, too.

Scott and Stacia said...

You guys are always doing so much out doors. It always looks like so much fun. Maybe we just arn't outdoor people??...I really don't think that is it, but why don't we do things like that?? We are trying to get tickets to NH this Winter. We hope to connect with you guys, so we will keep you posted. Sorry to hear about all the doctors appointments. You guys sure are great parents! Hang in there!

Kristen said...

So could our lives have any more weird parallels?? Accountants, kids with genetic diseases, and would you believe Adam has random high blood pressure? (He takes medication every day for it.) I think our families should start a support group!! :)